How to add fractions
(1) Understanding how to add fractions with the same denominator
(2) Understanding when to find a least common denominator
(3) Understand how to find a least common denominator
ESSENTIAL QUESTIONS, Overarching:
(1) What is the rule for adding fractions
ESSENTIAL QUESTIONS, Topical:
(1) How to evaluate an addition problem
(2) How do you find equivalent fractions?
(3) How to add once you find a common denominator
(4) How to draw a pictorial representation of a fraction
Student will know…
(1) The rule for adding fractions
(2) The process for adding fractions
Student will be able to…
(1) Identify equivalent fractions
(2) Multiply and divide in order to find equivalent fractions
(3) Add and subtract fractions
MAJOR LEARNING EXPERIENCES and Accompanying Resources:
Using pattern blocks to think about fractions.
This lesson is aimed at grades 5-6. Those students in grades 7-9 including students with disabilities, who are in need of more experience or practice can benefit from these lessons.