This lesson was developed as part of an environmental unit for a 3-6 grade science class. Throughout this webquest, the students will be learning about each ecosystem and habitat by researching the animal and plant life. Students will gain a basic knowledge of their assigned ecosystem and will present their findings to the class in an oral presentation. For the duration of the project the students will use multiple intelligences such as reading, writing, and artistic abilities.
This lesson would fit a 4th grade science class, which includes elements of art and language arts. This can be extended to different grade levels including 3-6. The students should have a brief background lesson about each habitat before beginning this project.
PA 4.6.4 Ecosystems and their Interactions
- Understand that living things are
dependent on nonliving things in the
environment for survival.
Identify and categorize living and
Describe the basic needs of an
Identify basic needs of a plant and
an animal and explain how their
needs are met.
Identify plants and animals with
their habitat and food sources.
Identify environmental variables
that affect plant growth.
Describe how animals interact with
plants to meet their needs for
Understand the components of a
Identify a ecosystem and its
living and nonliving components.
Reflection on Standards
- The students will be able to identify plants and animals to their specific habitat. They will do this by researching the animal and coming up with answers related to their habitat.
- Students will be able to understand and place animals with their food chain by researching the animal, their habitat, and the plants that surround them.
The Students will need
- Access to a computer which includes: smart board, power point program, and Internet
o Internet: the students will be provided the Internet resources, to save time, and for credibility.
- If they so choose to make a diorama they will need: a box, art materials such as construction paper, markers, crayons, etc. The students may also provide material from home to make their ecosystem come to life.
- If they choose to make a Mobile the students will need to provide a hanger, and be able to print out photos and any other word processed material.
In grading this webquest, students are to have a mobile, a diorama, smartboard, or powerpoint presentation to give to the class. They are to have fully and successfully completed the webquest with the knowledge of their assigned ecosystem, including habitat, food chain, animals, and plants. Since they are working in a group, each student has been assigned one specific job to fullfill, so they each should have completed their assigned job (individualized). The overall presentation should be divided up evenly among all group members and each subject should be addressed.