This guide represents a step-by-step approach to the key concepts of teaching beginning (grade 4) violin, viola, cello and bass. It is a curriculum based on the method of Shinichi Suzuki, adapted for use in a public school setting. This approach utilizes teaching strategies that will appeal to every type of learning style including:
• Developing the ear through listening
• Concentration on posture and tone
• Breaking down tasks into smaller increments
We also address the following National Standards for Music Education:
- Singing, alone and with others, a varied repertoire of music.
2. Performing on instruments, alone and with others, a varied repertoire of music.
5. Reading and notating music.
6. Listening to, analyzing, and describing music.
7. Evaluating music and music performances.
9. Understanding music in relation to history and culture.
- Arts > General
- Arts > Architecture
- Arts > Careers
- Arts > Dance
- Arts > Drama/Dramatics
- Arts > Film
- Arts > History
- Arts > Music
- Arts > Photography
- Arts > Popular Culture
- Arts > Technology
- Arts > Visual Arts
- Grade 1
- Grade 2
- Grade 3
- Grade 4
- Grade 5
- Special Education
License Deed:Creative Commons Attribution 3.0