The resource has been added to your collection
This is a kindergarten lesson on subtraction up to 5. Simple subtraction skills that uses literature, song, and a snack.
This resource has not yet been reviewed.
Not Rated Yet.
The student will be able to subtract up to 5.
1. Read the story Who Stole the Cookies from the Cookie Jar? by Philemon Sturges.
2. Discuss with students about what happened with the cookies?
3. Explain to students when we "take away" we call that subtraction.
4. Give each student their own "cookie jar" and 10 cookie crisp mini cookies.
5. Students then react subtraction problems with mini cookies. For example, teacher says, "There were 5 cookies in the cookie jar. Ashley took 2 cookies away. How many cookies are left?"
6. Students then work with a partner, sharing cookie jar stories and figuring out how many cookies are left.
7. Students eat their cookie crisp.
8. Bring students back to big group and play video of song "Who took the cookies from the cookie jar?"
Our Terms of Service and Privacy Policies have changed. By logging in, you agree to our updated Terms and Policies.