Lab 1: Testing for Starch
1. Complete the hypothesized portion of the following data table:
Hypothesized Presence of Starch
Observations from Test
Actual Presence of Starch?
2. Place a drop of Iodine on each substance and record the observations in the table.
3. Based on the reaction of what happened to the corn starch, please complete the final column of the table.
4. Were there any substances that contained starch that you didn’t think would? Explain why you didn’t think that they would.
Lab 4: Testing for Protein
1. Get 6 clean test tubes and place the following substance in them.
Hypothesized Presence of Protein
Actual Presence of Protein
2. Rank the order of which has the most protein.
3. Add enough Biuret Solution to cover each sample.
4. Put a rubber stopper over each and mix.
5. Compare the colors of the solutions. How do your results compare to what you actually observed?
Lab 3: Testing for Sugar
1. Get 5 clean test tubes and place the following substance in them and mash them up well with a glass rod.
Hypothesized Presence of Sugar
Actual Presence of Sugar
2. Add about 5mL of Benedict’s Solution to each tube.
4. Place in a hot water bath.
5. What color does Benedict’s Solution turn in the presence of high sugar?