1) For each reaction listed below, determine the ?H and type of reaction (endothermic or exothermic)
a. 2CO(g) + 2NO(g) -> N2(g) + CO2(g) + 746.8kJ
b. 2Al(s) + 3/2 O2(g) -> Al2O3(s) + 1675.7kJ
c. 2NaHCO3(s) + 129kJ -> Na2CO3(s) + H2O(g) + CO2(g)
d. 2HCl(g) + 184.6kJ -> H2(g) + Cl2(g)
e. N2H4(g) + 3O2(g) -> 2NO2(g) + 2H2O(g) + 197.8kJ
2) Rewrite each reaction below with the ?H value in its appropriate position and identify the reaction as endothermic or exothermic.
a. ½N2(g) + O2(g) -> NO2(g)
?H = 33.15kJ
b. Mg(s) + Cl2(g) -> MgCl2(s)
?H = –641.2kJ
c. Si(s) + 2Cl2(g) -> SiCl4(l)
?H = –687.1kJ
d. CO2(g) -> CO(g) + ½O2(g)
?H = 283.0kJ
e. H2O(g) + C(s) -> CO(g) + H2(g)
?H = 131.3kJ
3) Increasing temperature increases the rate of a reaction. What are the other 4 factors affecting reaction rate? Why does a higher temperature increase reaction rate?
4) Write equilibrium constant expressions for each reaction in #1 (a-e). Ignore the ?H value in reactions. The only thing to remember is whether the compounds are gases / aqueous solutions, or solids / liquids.
5) Write equilibrium constant expressions for each reaction in #2 (a-e). Ignore the ?H value in reactions.